An environment is a sole factor for the existence of life on Earth. The impact that human activities have on environment around us is undeniable. The rapid depletion of our critical natural resources due to overuse resulting in loss of biodiversity and climate change are unprecedented environmental challenges of our time. In the past decade we have witnessed surge in natural disasters across regions and extreme loss of life in natural environment, with 27,000 species are threatened with extinction in 2019 alone. To address these challenges, we need to modify our current consumption model and device a coordinated, comprehensive and timely response.
Most of the countries and governments have now come together to save the planet by conserving the natural resources, repairing the damages to reverse the trend. According to the World Bank the developed countries of the world make up about 18% of world population, yet use about 88% of the world’s resources and produce about 75% of world’s waste and pollution. Most of this waste ends up in landfills generating enormous amounts of methane. With forest fires, deforestation and huge amount of timber being harvested for commercial use, our forests are decreasing at an alarming rate.
We at FSI support various initiatives suggested by the government and implemented a few at our own offices. Our volunteers are also active participants of initiatives organized by World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Our Energy and Environment research yields a lot of valuable details on Water & Waste Water Treatment, Waste Management, and Energy Management which can be used by governments, NGOs to focus on the grey areas that require attention and develop a plan of action. Our Industry experts can also provide additional support by working on research & analysis with the governments, NGOs or other institutes and share our suggestions on how we can preserve & protect the planet.
- How can sustainable development be achieved for all while addressing global climate change?
- How can we make these alternate/renewable resources cost efficient?
- Deforestation and forest fires have destroyed most of green cover globally. How can we preserve our forests?
- What are the possible ways to minimize Global warming?
- Oil spills, industrial wastes and toxic gases cause pollution of water, land and air. How can we minimize water, air and land pollution?
- Establish a set of best practices that can function as an SOP for all nations across the globe for carbon neutrality.
- How does climate change affect the sustainable development?
- How can we integrate climate change measures into International/National policies and strategies?
- Determine ways to raise awareness on climate change mitigation.
- Make use of Education to raise awareness on sustainable development and reducing impact of climate change.
- What could be the impact of environmental degradation on women and children?
- What are the women’s issues concerning water supply and sanitation?
- Controlling an estimated 60% of global GDP, consumers can change the market. What role can the market play in changing consumer perception and preference to encourage sustainable consumption?
- What would a new sustainable economic model look like that generates long-term value through the integration and balance of natural, social, human and financial capital?
- How do we strengthen the international environment governance and set global standards to promote regulation and incentivize actions to build sustainable markets?
- Find ways to develop tools that can monitor impact on sustainability contributed by MNCs
- Can we develop better ways to manage E-waste and plastic disposal waste along with other hazardous wastes?
- How can we implement reuse and recycling to enable waste management?
- Identify measures to minimize the leakage of toxic chemical compounds from genetically modified crops and plants.
- Global food wastage in retail and consumer level is a critical problem. How can we manage this?
- Can we make use of energy efficient technology for household and office gadgets to reduce consumption of electricity?